Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 19...The Glass is Half Full




Once again, I woke up this morning to have the usual breakfast prepared at the Shawanda hotel. After finishing, the group loaded into a bus to take us to a local school where we were to do some volunteer work. Here we split into three groups to each accomplish a different task. Being in group one, we were assigned to decorate a mural. Multiple colored bottle caps had been sorted into plastic bags, and we were instructed to use these to form letters on a wooden board. The letters were to spell the school's name, "Escuela Rio Negro" or "The Black River School."

After completing our project, a small group decided to go to the local Rescue Center. We saw multiple animals including a jaguar, toucans, sloths, snakes, a deer, and the best of all, monkeys. As soon as we walked into the monkey cage, one jumped onto my head and another into my arms. It was so much fun to hold and play with them. Even though it was only ten minutes, I really enjoyed the experience especially since I was contemplating not taking the tour. I really learned a great deal about the different species of Costa Rica.

We then went to lunch at a local place where we were given the options of chicken or fish along with rice and beans, and once again I chose fish. It was pretty tasty but not near as delicious as other restaurants at which we have eaten. Free time awaited us after we finished our meal. I decided to use this time to catch up on my blog. However, after completing two days, I found myself distracted by my friends in the pool. Before I knew it, I was in my swimsuit and headed for the refreshing water to join them.

Feeling refreshed, I headed back to the bungalow to shower and get ready for dinner. We were to eat at Koki Beach in Puerto Viejo. I was really excited because I had the opportunity to wear a new dress I bought when shopping yesterday. After placing our order, dinner was simple and relaxed so we all managed to enjoy ourselves. After two hours of the chaos we tend to cause when ordering, a night out was very much needed by the majority of the group.

We went to a local bar where most people danced and drank. I did neither simply because I was not in the mood. I observed and was content with doing so. However, after about an hour, I was ready to leave but my classmates and friends were not. Because of this, we were forced to stay another hour and a half waiting on more people to leave. Eventually I was fed up and ready to leave.

My day was overall great, but this evening brought a few bumps. Though I enjoyed myself for the first hour and a half at the bar, the second half of my time there was not fun. I was tired and simply not in the mood to drink and in turn did not feel like dancing. In addition to this tonight,  I was feeling really lonely and really missing home. However, I discussed my feelings with Audra and Sarah, which made me feel much better. I now feel as if I have two people I can confide in when things get tough here.

Today I learned that a positive attitude can go a long way and is necessary to succeed in life. When creating the mural I was shocked at the items we were instructed to use. However, believing it was possible, it turned out wonderful. When going to the Rescue Center, I did not want to go into the monkey cage fearing their reactions. However, when I did, I had an absolute blast and did not want to leave. When I was stuck at the bar, I was itching to be home, However, I smiled and talked allowing me to create even better friendships on this trip. The only way I survived my day was with my positive attitude; without it, my day, and the day of those around me, would have been absolutely miserable.

Props to Dixie Gallups for always telling me to be optimistic. Tonight I learned you know what you're talking about! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment