Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 20...Welcome to Wherever You Are




I planned to sleep in later than usual this morning. However, I was awaken by my roommate, Tamera, much earlier than expected. Fighting the light and wishing to sleep longer, I stepped out of bed to pack my bag and prepare for the day. After about fifteen minutes of frantically trying to find all of my things and throw them into my suitcase, I was dripping in sweat. I drug my bag to the bus and found a seat. Feeling all heat and no air, I realized that though I was hesitant to leave the beautiful city, the heat and humidity were two things I would definitely not be missing.

Today was a travel day consisting of a three hour drive from Puerto Viejo to San Jose. However, due to a few minor set backs, the drive was closer to a five hour trek. Our first stop was at a local ecotourism place known as ATEC; this was the organization that booked all of our activities while in Puerto Viejo. After leaving here, we traveled approximately thirty feet before stopping again for a group to make some purchases at the local supermarket. Fifteen minutes later we were finally on the road and ready for our journey. Unfortunately, we were stopped once again, this time for motion sickness. One of the girls had to leave the bus and walk around for a minute to keep from being sick. Of course we had to stop immediately causing us to be on the side of the road rather than at or even near a convenient store. Because a good bit of people bought drinks at the supermarket, many of us already needed a bathroom break. So, once again, we made another stop. After four stops, we were sure we were on our way. However, we cannot seem to do anything without having some sort of story. Just as we made it to the half way point, our front right tire blew. Luckily our driver had all of the equipment to safely change it. The last stop before arrival in San Jose was for lunch, which was quick and smooth. Feeling full and extremely tired, I slept the remainder of the way.

Upon arrival at Hotel Milvia, we unloaded, found our rooms, claimed our beds, and began working on our classwork assignments. During this time, I finished a paper and completely updated my blog. Thankfully the majority of the group decided to order food giving us a good amount of free time to work. We ordered from a local Italian place. Because we were really hungry when placing the order for seventeen people, once the food arrived we were like a pack of coyotes scarfing down our food meaning we finished our meals within about a ten minute time frame. Apparently traveling makes us extremely hungry.

On the ride from one destination to the next I listened to some music on my phone. A song that caught my attention was Bon Jovi's "Welcome to Wherever you Are". In this song he states, "maybe we're all different, but we're still the same. We all got the blood of Eden running through our veins." This verse put everything I have learned on this trip into perspective. It is important to realize that everyone is different in their own way but also realize how similar we all are, more than we want to believe at times. The title has just as important of a meaning today as the lyrics. We made multiple stops and had a variety of adventures. However, we simply went with the flow and welcomed wherever it was we were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment