Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 22...There's No Place Like Home



Waking up this morning I was surprisingly excited for the day ahead even though it would merely include traveling from San Jose back to San Luis. After I packed my bag and loaded it onto the bus, I was asked to collect money from anyone who wished to tip the staff at Hotel Milvia. Everyone was generous enough to chip in 500 colones (~$1). As the money was collected, we gathered in a circle to present it to the staff on behalf of the group. Dr. Harris gave a speech that caused each of us to tear up a bit. Though San Jose was not my favorite place of the trip, it felt the most like home. The staff was wonderful taking care of all of our needs. We felt safe and comfortable here making me feel like I could stay there for forever.

We said our goodbyes, and each of us insisted on giving Carlos (pictured above) a big hug before we left. As we walked out of the gate for the last time, we loaded the bus and made our way to San Luis. Of course we had a few stops on the way including McDonalds, the bank, and a bathroom break. The journey was about a three hour one, but I managed to sleep for about two of those.

When I woke up we were about forty five minutes away from the UGA Campus. Immediately after arrival we were served lunch, which, of course, consisted of rice and beans. We were then assigned to our rooms. I grabbed my laptop and headed for the library to begin work on my group project. With class being canceled, my group and I had extra time to work before dinner and actually managed to get a good bit complete.

Dinner was quite chaotic. In fact, there were not even enough seats for everyone. The conversation around the table as soon as we sat down consisted of hot chocolate. Because the hot chocolate here is the best any of us has ever had, it is a competition to be the first in line as soon as it is served. Tonight, we had much more competition that we are used to. We had a plan, but of course it failed due to our excitement and selfishness. (lol). They did run out before everyone could get their fair share, but our crew each had a cup. We finished our cups and continued working. After a few hours of work and a long day, we went to bed pretty early.

Today I learned that there really is no place like home. Even though I felt like Hotel Milvia was more of a home than anywhere else, today I realized how much I miss my home in Georgia. Part of my identity has always been that I am a southerner, born and raised. Being here I feel like that part of my identity has been challenged because I have felt less connected with this part of me being so far away for so long. Even with being at UGA, I am still in good ole' Georgia surrounded by friends from the same area. Therefore, though I am a good two hours from my hometown, the southern identity I have is not missing. Being here I have come to appreciate the little things I take for granted when at home such as the cooking, my family, and of course good ole' sweet tea. It will be sad leaving Costa Rica, but it will feel wonderful to get back to my roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment